- Matt MacInnnis, Director of Finance
Phone: (902) 875-3544 Ext. 231
- Donna Morash, Finance Clerk
Phone: (902) 875-3544 Ext. 228
- Janice MacKinley, Tax Clerk
Phone: (902) 875-3544 Ext. 222
The Municipality of the District of Shelburne sends property tax bills to all property owners twice each year. Bills are sent out in April and September. The April “interim bill” will reflect 60% of the previous years total tax. The September “final bill” will make up the balance of the current years taxes based on the current assessment and tax rate.
The tax calculation is based on the assessed value of the property divided by 100 multiplied by the applicable tax rate.
Residential - $1.28/100 of assessment
Commercial - $1.82/100 of assessment
Tax Certificate - $40.00
Deed Transfer Tax - 1.5% of purchase price
Sewer Service - $260.00/year
Payments may be made by cash, debit, cheque, money order (payable to the Municipality of the District of Shelburne) or by Electronic Bill Payment Service (Online Banking) at the Municipal Administration Building, Finance Department, located at 136 Hammond Street, Shelburne. Please do not send cash in the mail.
Electronic Bill Payment Options
This enables bill payment access through telephone, internet systems, automated banking machines as well as teller transactions. The proper payee name (see below) is required to perform these transactions as well as your eight digit Assessment Account Number(s). If you have more than one property you must enter each assessment number and the amount you are sending for each one.
Online payments are possible with the following banking institutions:
- CIBC – payee name is: Shelburne (District of) Tax
- President’s Choice Financial – payee name is: Shelburne (District of) Tax
- Scotia Bank – payee name is: Shelburne (NS) Taxes/Sewer
- Bank of Montreal – payee name is: Municipality of the District of Shelburne Tax
- Toronto Dominion – payee name is: Shelburne Nova Scotia (District of) Taxes
- Telpay (Telpay.ca - independent payment processor) – payee name is: Shelburne (MD) Taxes
The Municipality of Shelburne has added an additional payment option for our ratepayers who wish to pay their tax or sewer bill using their Visa or MasterCard. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Paymentus Corporation is a third party automated payment service that accepts Visa and MasterCard.
Paymentus will charge you for the use of their service to cover the cost of the payment handling and processing. The Municipality of Shelburne does NOT receive any part of this service fee. Paymentus is an independent third-party company providing a service for the Municipality of Shelburne.
The service fee charged by Paymentus Corporation for tax account payments is 2.95% of your payment amount. This amount will be billed directly to your credit card. For example:
- A payment of $500 plus the service fee equals $514.75
- A payment of $1,000 plus the service fee equals $1,029.50
To access this service either:
- Click here and you will be transfered to a secure web page powered by Paymentus Corporation. https://ipn.paymentus.com/otp/stde/shns
- Call Toll Free 1-877-488-5755 and you will be linked to a secure automated telephone payment system powered by Paymentus Corporation.
You must have your assessment account number (from your bill), your payment amount and your credit card ready.
After payment is made, you will recieve a confirmation number. The Municipality of Shelburne will recieve notification of your payment which will be posted to your account within two business days.