When someone deliberately dumps waste on public or private property without consent, they are dumping illegally. This practice is most common in out-of-the-way places like parks, back roads, rivers and lakes.
If You Witness Someone Dumping Illegally
Write down as much information as you can including:
- License plate number
- Description of the vehicle
- Description of the people
- Description of the items being dumped
- Time the incident happened
- Location the incident happened
Call the By Law Enforcement Officer at (902) 875-6773.
Provide your name, address, phone number and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court.
If You Didn't Witness the Incident
If you have a concern about illegal dumping but did not witness the incident:
- Be safe, do not remove or touch any of the items.
- Contact the By Law Enforcement officer at (902) 875-6773
- Provide the general area or address of the illegal dump site and a brief description of the concern.
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern for follow-up contact.
Responding to Your Complaint
After you call 902-875-6773, we take these steps to help with your issue:
- A file is created specifying your concerns.
- A Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation and will attend illegal dump site.
- The officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a fine ranging from $500 to $5,000 depending on the circumstances.
- The officer may issue an order, which allows the perpetrator the opportunity to take corrective action and provide proof that the waste was disposed of in compliance with the Municipal bylaw.
- The Municipality may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court.