Shelburne County Healthcare Updates - March 30, 2021
Nova Scotia Health Authorty has provided the following update of recent activities relating to physician recruitiment in Shelburne County:
• Dr. Adeleke Ifesanya joined the Shelburne Family Practice team in March. He recently completed a Practice Ready Assessment. As part of the recruitment process, the Municipality of Shelburne hosted Dr. Adeleke and his family for a weekend in January, which included accommodations, meals and tours of the Roseway Hospital, Shelburne Collaborative Health centre and the local area.
• Recruitment work is also underway on another Practice Ready Assessment physician candidate for the area later this year.
• Ongoing recruitment efforts include working through the immigration process for an Emergency Department physician who will provide service at a number of locations in Western Zone, including Roseway Hospital.
• COVID-19 restrictions mean we have had to try new and creative ways to introduce potential new doctors, nurse practitioners and other health providers to the Shelburne area. Recruitment site visits have included both in-person and virtual tours (over the internet) of Roseway Hospital and Shelburne Collaborative Family Practice Clinic over the past few months for physicians and nurse practitioners.
• This past fall, a group of Family Medicine Residents attended a “clinic crawl” which allowed the group to see the local health centre and experience Shelburne hospitality. The Municipality of Shelburne helped showcase the area, and arranged a dinner at the yacht club, which was also attended by a number of community partners.
• A new physician joined the Shelburne Family Practice in the fall to provide short-term coverage, but with the hope the physician may choose to continue to provide service for a longer period of time. The physician’s service has been very much appreciated by the Family Practice team and their patients.
• Dr. Trudy MacFarlane communicated with her patients that she is leaving – her last day was February 12. Many of her priority patients were transferred to another provider. Thank you Dr. MacFarlane for your service to your patients and the community.
We are pleased to welcome Dr. Adeleke to the Shelburne Family Practice Team and are excited about the health initiatives underway that will assist in improving health care services for the County!
The Municipality is committed to recruiting physicians and other healthcare staff to the area. To ensure the health and development of our community we need to find creative solutions to attracting these professionals and ensuring our healthcare system is accessible, Roseway ER is open and residents are provided with effective in-patient and primary care.