Low Income Property Tax Exemption
Pursuant to Section 69 of the Municipal Government Act, the Municipality of the District of Shelburne is providing a tax exemption of up to $600 on the 2022/2023 property taxes.
To qualify for the low income property tax exemption, the following criteria must be met:
1. A property owner’s gross income from all sources (Line 150 of the 2021 Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency) including all persons residing within the home, must be $35,000 or less.
2. A copy of the 2021 Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency must be provided.
3. A signed application, by all persons within the home, attesting that the information provided is correct.
4. The previous year’s rates and property taxes must be paid in full at the time the application is submitted.
5. This exemption shall only be available for residents where the property is their primary residence occupied by him/her year-round.
Click here to review all eligibility requirements listed in the Municipality’s Low Income Tax Exemption Policy. Applications will be received until February 28, 2023.
The annual property tax exemption will be calculated according to the following income levels and amounts, for all eligible residents:
• $35,000 or less up to $50
• $30,000 or less up to $150
• $25,000 or less up to $300
• $20,000 or less up to $600
How to receive and submit a Low Income Tax Property Tax Exemption application to the Municipality:
Eligible residents can do one of the following:
A. Mail your application and a copy of your notice 2021 Notice of Assessment received from Canada Revenue Agency to P.O. Box 280, Shelburne, NS B0T 1W0. Please note a fillable Low Income Tax Exemption application can be found can be found below.
B. Or, fill out an electronic version of the application that can be found below, take a picture of your 2021 Notice of Assessment received from Canada Revenue Agency, and email it to .
For further information, please visit our website or contact the Finance Department at 902-875-3544 ext. 222. All applications are reviewed in accordance with the Municipality's Low Income Property Tax Exemption Policy. Applications are available in the Finance Department or by clicking the following link, Application Form 2022/2023